Change of multiple complex coronary plaques in patients with acute myocardial infarction

A study with coronary angiography

Sang Gon Lee, Cheol Whan Lee, Myeongki Hong, Jae Joong Kim, Seong Wook Park, Seung Jung Park

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

34 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Background: Patients with acute myocardial infarction (AMI) may have multiple complex coronary plaques that are not limited to the culprit lesions. However, it is unknown whether they tend to progress in severity, regress, or remain stable. The aim of this angiographic study is to evaluate the natural history of these lesions. Methods: We consecutively enrolled 229 patients who underwent coronary angiography at the time of their hospitalization to treat AMI with primary angioplasty. Baseline and follow-up (mean follow-up duration, 192 ± 33 days) coronary angiographic data in patients with multiple complex coronary plaques characterized by thrombus, ulceration, plaque irregularity, and impaired flow were compared. Results: Single complex coronary plaques were identified in 167 patients (73%), and multiple complex plaques were identified in the other 62 patients (27%). Among the patients with multiple complex plaques (62 patients, 83 non-culprit complex plaques), the angiographic examinations were reviewed simultaneously in 43.5% (27 patients, 35 non-culprit complex plaques). Of 35 non-culprit complex lesions, 29 lesions (82%) remained complex without changing into smooth lesions, 1 lesion became totally occluded, and 4 lesions regressed. The severity of non-culprit complex lesions between baseline and follow-up angiography is equal (maximal diameter stenosis, 74% ± 15% vs 72% ± 15%, P = .4). Long-term cardiac events after discharge were more likely to develop in patients with multiple complex plaques than in patients with single complex plaques (24% vs 10%, respectively; P <.01). Conclusions: In patients with AMI, little angiographic change occurred during 6 months of follow-up in the non-culprit complex plaques.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)281-286
Number of pages6
JournalAmerican Heart Journal
Volume147
Issue number2
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2004 Jan 1

Fingerprint

Coronary Angiography
Myocardial Infarction
Natural History
Angioplasty
Angiography
Pathologic Constriction
Hospitalization
Thrombosis

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine

Cite this

Lee, Sang Gon ; Lee, Cheol Whan ; Hong, Myeongki ; Kim, Jae Joong ; Park, Seong Wook ; Park, Seung Jung. / Change of multiple complex coronary plaques in patients with acute myocardial infarction : A study with coronary angiography. In: American Heart Journal. 2004 ; Vol. 147, No. 2. pp. 281-286.
@article{f0178a8c429f4c6e8443d68e4727731b,
title = "Change of multiple complex coronary plaques in patients with acute myocardial infarction: A study with coronary angiography",
abstract = "Background: Patients with acute myocardial infarction (AMI) may have multiple complex coronary plaques that are not limited to the culprit lesions. However, it is unknown whether they tend to progress in severity, regress, or remain stable. The aim of this angiographic study is to evaluate the natural history of these lesions. Methods: We consecutively enrolled 229 patients who underwent coronary angiography at the time of their hospitalization to treat AMI with primary angioplasty. Baseline and follow-up (mean follow-up duration, 192 ± 33 days) coronary angiographic data in patients with multiple complex coronary plaques characterized by thrombus, ulceration, plaque irregularity, and impaired flow were compared. Results: Single complex coronary plaques were identified in 167 patients (73{\%}), and multiple complex plaques were identified in the other 62 patients (27{\%}). Among the patients with multiple complex plaques (62 patients, 83 non-culprit complex plaques), the angiographic examinations were reviewed simultaneously in 43.5{\%} (27 patients, 35 non-culprit complex plaques). Of 35 non-culprit complex lesions, 29 lesions (82{\%}) remained complex without changing into smooth lesions, 1 lesion became totally occluded, and 4 lesions regressed. The severity of non-culprit complex lesions between baseline and follow-up angiography is equal (maximal diameter stenosis, 74{\%} ± 15{\%} vs 72{\%} ± 15{\%}, P = .4). Long-term cardiac events after discharge were more likely to develop in patients with multiple complex plaques than in patients with single complex plaques (24{\%} vs 10{\%}, respectively; P <.01). Conclusions: In patients with AMI, little angiographic change occurred during 6 months of follow-up in the non-culprit complex plaques.",
author = "Lee, {Sang Gon} and Lee, {Cheol Whan} and Myeongki Hong and Kim, {Jae Joong} and Park, {Seong Wook} and Park, {Seung Jung}",
year = "2004",
month = "1",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1016/j.ahj.2003.09.012",
language = "English",
volume = "147",
pages = "281--286",
journal = "American Heart Journal",
issn = "0002-8703",
publisher = "Mosby Inc.",
number = "2",

}

Change of multiple complex coronary plaques in patients with acute myocardial infarction : A study with coronary angiography. / Lee, Sang Gon; Lee, Cheol Whan; Hong, Myeongki; Kim, Jae Joong; Park, Seong Wook; Park, Seung Jung.

In: American Heart Journal, Vol. 147, No. 2, 01.01.2004, p. 281-286.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

TY - JOUR

T1 - Change of multiple complex coronary plaques in patients with acute myocardial infarction

T2 - A study with coronary angiography

AU - Lee, Sang Gon

AU - Lee, Cheol Whan

AU - Hong, Myeongki

AU - Kim, Jae Joong

AU - Park, Seong Wook

AU - Park, Seung Jung

PY - 2004/1/1

Y1 - 2004/1/1

N2 - Background: Patients with acute myocardial infarction (AMI) may have multiple complex coronary plaques that are not limited to the culprit lesions. However, it is unknown whether they tend to progress in severity, regress, or remain stable. The aim of this angiographic study is to evaluate the natural history of these lesions. Methods: We consecutively enrolled 229 patients who underwent coronary angiography at the time of their hospitalization to treat AMI with primary angioplasty. Baseline and follow-up (mean follow-up duration, 192 ± 33 days) coronary angiographic data in patients with multiple complex coronary plaques characterized by thrombus, ulceration, plaque irregularity, and impaired flow were compared. Results: Single complex coronary plaques were identified in 167 patients (73%), and multiple complex plaques were identified in the other 62 patients (27%). Among the patients with multiple complex plaques (62 patients, 83 non-culprit complex plaques), the angiographic examinations were reviewed simultaneously in 43.5% (27 patients, 35 non-culprit complex plaques). Of 35 non-culprit complex lesions, 29 lesions (82%) remained complex without changing into smooth lesions, 1 lesion became totally occluded, and 4 lesions regressed. The severity of non-culprit complex lesions between baseline and follow-up angiography is equal (maximal diameter stenosis, 74% ± 15% vs 72% ± 15%, P = .4). Long-term cardiac events after discharge were more likely to develop in patients with multiple complex plaques than in patients with single complex plaques (24% vs 10%, respectively; P <.01). Conclusions: In patients with AMI, little angiographic change occurred during 6 months of follow-up in the non-culprit complex plaques.

AB - Background: Patients with acute myocardial infarction (AMI) may have multiple complex coronary plaques that are not limited to the culprit lesions. However, it is unknown whether they tend to progress in severity, regress, or remain stable. The aim of this angiographic study is to evaluate the natural history of these lesions. Methods: We consecutively enrolled 229 patients who underwent coronary angiography at the time of their hospitalization to treat AMI with primary angioplasty. Baseline and follow-up (mean follow-up duration, 192 ± 33 days) coronary angiographic data in patients with multiple complex coronary plaques characterized by thrombus, ulceration, plaque irregularity, and impaired flow were compared. Results: Single complex coronary plaques were identified in 167 patients (73%), and multiple complex plaques were identified in the other 62 patients (27%). Among the patients with multiple complex plaques (62 patients, 83 non-culprit complex plaques), the angiographic examinations were reviewed simultaneously in 43.5% (27 patients, 35 non-culprit complex plaques). Of 35 non-culprit complex lesions, 29 lesions (82%) remained complex without changing into smooth lesions, 1 lesion became totally occluded, and 4 lesions regressed. The severity of non-culprit complex lesions between baseline and follow-up angiography is equal (maximal diameter stenosis, 74% ± 15% vs 72% ± 15%, P = .4). Long-term cardiac events after discharge were more likely to develop in patients with multiple complex plaques than in patients with single complex plaques (24% vs 10%, respectively; P <.01). Conclusions: In patients with AMI, little angiographic change occurred during 6 months of follow-up in the non-culprit complex plaques.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0842304372&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0842304372&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/j.ahj.2003.09.012

DO - 10.1016/j.ahj.2003.09.012

M3 - Article

VL - 147

SP - 281

EP - 286

JO - American Heart Journal

JF - American Heart Journal

SN - 0002-8703

IS - 2

ER -