Each country is giving number one priority to reduction of building energy consumption to reduce national CO2 emissions. Korea has begun to regulate new building’s energy performance since 2009, targeting zero energy in 2025. To achieve this goal, the government set goals for each stage, but there has been any concrete model suggested. Thus, this study is to suggest a concrete, feasible residential building model through planning, construction, and performance test of low-energy experimental housing having four stages of 40%, 60%, 80%, and 100% energy consumption reduction compared to existing housing. This study selected apartments suitable for the situation in Korea by reviewing domestic and overseas experimental housings, and predicted performance standards, planning of technology application, and according energy performance for four experimental houses. As a result of progressively improving the performance of building envelopes and ventilation and applying high-efficiency system, 100% reduction model’s energy demand has decreased by about 43% compared to base model. The remaining 57% includes hot water supply, home appliances, and cooking which are hard to be reduced, and net zero energy house turned out achievable by applying 12.5% of solar heat, 7.5% of geothermal heat, and 37.0% of photovoltaics.
|Number of pages||6|
|Journal||International Journal of Sustainable Building Technology and Urban Development|
|Publication status||Published - 2010|
Bibliographical noteFunding Information:
This research was supported by a grant (06ConstructionCoreB02) from High-tech Urban Development Program (HUDP) funded by Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs of Korea Government and Sustainable Building Research Center of Hanyang University which was supported by the SRC/ERC program of MEST(R11-2005-056-02001-0)
All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes
- Building and Construction