Introduction: Sharp-edged foreign bodies that are accidentally swallowed can become lodged in the stomach. This animal study was undertaken to determine the outcome of orthodontic anchorage screw ingestion. Methods: We evaluated radiographs of 10 mixed-breed dogs that ingested 10 orthodontic anchorage screws and 10 reamers (1 screw and 1 reamer per dog). Results: All orthodontic anchorage screws and all but 2 reamers were spontaneously passed within 7 days. Conclusions: Further investigation is needed to determine whether the results of our animal study agree with clinical findings.
|Number of pages||2|
|Journal||American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics|
|Publication status||Published - 2007 Jun|
Bibliographical noteFunding Information:
Supported by grant No. R13-2003-13 from the Medical Science and Engineering Research Program of the Korean Science and Engineering Foundation.
All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes