Intravascular ultrasound assessment of patterns of arterial remodeling in the absence of significant reference segment plaque burden in patients with coronary artery disease

Myeongki Hong, Gary S. Mintz, Cheol Whan Lee, Young Hak Kim, Jae Whan Lee, Jong Min Song, Ki Hoon Han, Duk Hyun Kang, Jae Kwan Song, Jae Joong Kim, Seong Wook Park, Seung Jung Park

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

20 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

OBJECTIVES: We evaluated the impact of reference vessel segment plaque burden on lesion remodeling. BACKGROUND: Intravascular ultrasound (IVUS) assessment of lesion remodeling compares lesions to reference segments. However, reference segments are rarely disease-free and, therefore, have also undergone remodeling changes. METHODS: Pre-intervention IVUS was obtained in 274 patients with right coronary artery lesions selected because the right coronary artery has less tapering and fewer side branches than the left anterior descending or left circumflex artery. Standard IVUS definitions were used. Patients were divided according to reference vessel segment plaque burden: group A (minimal reference disease, n = 91), both proximal and distal reference plaque burden <20%; group B (n = 91), either proximal or distal reference plaque burden 20% to 40% but both ≤40%; and group C (n = 92), either proximal or distal reference plaque burden >40%. RESULTS: The remodeling index measured 0.98 ± 0.16 in group A (range, 0.68 to 1.47), 1.04 ± 0.15 in group B (range, 0.67 to 1.91), and 1.04 ± 0.15 in group C (range, 0.74 to 1.70), analysis of variance p = 0.0208 (p = 0.0234 group A vs. group B and p = 0.0012 group A vs. group C, but p = 0.8 group B vs. group C). Positive, intermediate, and negative remodeling were observed in 24 (26%), 24 (26%), and 43 lesions (48%) in group A; 36 (40%), 28 (30%), and 27 lesions (30%) in group B; and 34 (37%), 39 (42%), and 19 lesions (21%) in group C, respectively (p = 0.0022). CONCLUSIONS: Negative remodeling occurs commonly in coronary lesions with minimal reference segment disease. Negative remodeling is not just an "artifact" introduced by comparing lesions to diseased reference segments.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)806-810
Number of pages5
JournalJournal of the American College of Cardiology
Volume42
Issue number5
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2003 Sep 3

Fingerprint

Coronary Artery Disease
Coronary Vessels
Patient Rights
Artifacts
Analysis of Variance
Arteries

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine

Cite this

Hong, Myeongki ; Mintz, Gary S. ; Lee, Cheol Whan ; Kim, Young Hak ; Lee, Jae Whan ; Song, Jong Min ; Han, Ki Hoon ; Kang, Duk Hyun ; Song, Jae Kwan ; Kim, Jae Joong ; Park, Seong Wook ; Park, Seung Jung. / Intravascular ultrasound assessment of patterns of arterial remodeling in the absence of significant reference segment plaque burden in patients with coronary artery disease. In: Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2003 ; Vol. 42, No. 5. pp. 806-810.
@article{bbc74f137747493c860cfcc6b5650789,
title = "Intravascular ultrasound assessment of patterns of arterial remodeling in the absence of significant reference segment plaque burden in patients with coronary artery disease",
abstract = "OBJECTIVES: We evaluated the impact of reference vessel segment plaque burden on lesion remodeling. BACKGROUND: Intravascular ultrasound (IVUS) assessment of lesion remodeling compares lesions to reference segments. However, reference segments are rarely disease-free and, therefore, have also undergone remodeling changes. METHODS: Pre-intervention IVUS was obtained in 274 patients with right coronary artery lesions selected because the right coronary artery has less tapering and fewer side branches than the left anterior descending or left circumflex artery. Standard IVUS definitions were used. Patients were divided according to reference vessel segment plaque burden: group A (minimal reference disease, n = 91), both proximal and distal reference plaque burden <20{\%}; group B (n = 91), either proximal or distal reference plaque burden 20{\%} to 40{\%} but both ≤40{\%}; and group C (n = 92), either proximal or distal reference plaque burden >40{\%}. RESULTS: The remodeling index measured 0.98 ± 0.16 in group A (range, 0.68 to 1.47), 1.04 ± 0.15 in group B (range, 0.67 to 1.91), and 1.04 ± 0.15 in group C (range, 0.74 to 1.70), analysis of variance p = 0.0208 (p = 0.0234 group A vs. group B and p = 0.0012 group A vs. group C, but p = 0.8 group B vs. group C). Positive, intermediate, and negative remodeling were observed in 24 (26{\%}), 24 (26{\%}), and 43 lesions (48{\%}) in group A; 36 (40{\%}), 28 (30{\%}), and 27 lesions (30{\%}) in group B; and 34 (37{\%}), 39 (42{\%}), and 19 lesions (21{\%}) in group C, respectively (p = 0.0022). CONCLUSIONS: Negative remodeling occurs commonly in coronary lesions with minimal reference segment disease. Negative remodeling is not just an {"}artifact{"} introduced by comparing lesions to diseased reference segments.",
author = "Myeongki Hong and Mintz, {Gary S.} and Lee, {Cheol Whan} and Kim, {Young Hak} and Lee, {Jae Whan} and Song, {Jong Min} and Han, {Ki Hoon} and Kang, {Duk Hyun} and Song, {Jae Kwan} and Kim, {Jae Joong} and Park, {Seong Wook} and Park, {Seung Jung}",
year = "2003",
month = "9",
day = "3",
doi = "10.1016/S0735-1097(03)00842-8",
language = "English",
volume = "42",
pages = "806--810",
journal = "Journal of the American College of Cardiology",
issn = "0735-1097",
publisher = "Elsevier USA",
number = "5",

}

Intravascular ultrasound assessment of patterns of arterial remodeling in the absence of significant reference segment plaque burden in patients with coronary artery disease. / Hong, Myeongki; Mintz, Gary S.; Lee, Cheol Whan; Kim, Young Hak; Lee, Jae Whan; Song, Jong Min; Han, Ki Hoon; Kang, Duk Hyun; Song, Jae Kwan; Kim, Jae Joong; Park, Seong Wook; Park, Seung Jung.

In: Journal of the American College of Cardiology, Vol. 42, No. 5, 03.09.2003, p. 806-810.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

TY - JOUR

T1 - Intravascular ultrasound assessment of patterns of arterial remodeling in the absence of significant reference segment plaque burden in patients with coronary artery disease

AU - Hong, Myeongki

AU - Mintz, Gary S.

AU - Lee, Cheol Whan

AU - Kim, Young Hak

AU - Lee, Jae Whan

AU - Song, Jong Min

AU - Han, Ki Hoon

AU - Kang, Duk Hyun

AU - Song, Jae Kwan

AU - Kim, Jae Joong

AU - Park, Seong Wook

AU - Park, Seung Jung

PY - 2003/9/3

Y1 - 2003/9/3

N2 - OBJECTIVES: We evaluated the impact of reference vessel segment plaque burden on lesion remodeling. BACKGROUND: Intravascular ultrasound (IVUS) assessment of lesion remodeling compares lesions to reference segments. However, reference segments are rarely disease-free and, therefore, have also undergone remodeling changes. METHODS: Pre-intervention IVUS was obtained in 274 patients with right coronary artery lesions selected because the right coronary artery has less tapering and fewer side branches than the left anterior descending or left circumflex artery. Standard IVUS definitions were used. Patients were divided according to reference vessel segment plaque burden: group A (minimal reference disease, n = 91), both proximal and distal reference plaque burden <20%; group B (n = 91), either proximal or distal reference plaque burden 20% to 40% but both ≤40%; and group C (n = 92), either proximal or distal reference plaque burden >40%. RESULTS: The remodeling index measured 0.98 ± 0.16 in group A (range, 0.68 to 1.47), 1.04 ± 0.15 in group B (range, 0.67 to 1.91), and 1.04 ± 0.15 in group C (range, 0.74 to 1.70), analysis of variance p = 0.0208 (p = 0.0234 group A vs. group B and p = 0.0012 group A vs. group C, but p = 0.8 group B vs. group C). Positive, intermediate, and negative remodeling were observed in 24 (26%), 24 (26%), and 43 lesions (48%) in group A; 36 (40%), 28 (30%), and 27 lesions (30%) in group B; and 34 (37%), 39 (42%), and 19 lesions (21%) in group C, respectively (p = 0.0022). CONCLUSIONS: Negative remodeling occurs commonly in coronary lesions with minimal reference segment disease. Negative remodeling is not just an "artifact" introduced by comparing lesions to diseased reference segments.

AB - OBJECTIVES: We evaluated the impact of reference vessel segment plaque burden on lesion remodeling. BACKGROUND: Intravascular ultrasound (IVUS) assessment of lesion remodeling compares lesions to reference segments. However, reference segments are rarely disease-free and, therefore, have also undergone remodeling changes. METHODS: Pre-intervention IVUS was obtained in 274 patients with right coronary artery lesions selected because the right coronary artery has less tapering and fewer side branches than the left anterior descending or left circumflex artery. Standard IVUS definitions were used. Patients were divided according to reference vessel segment plaque burden: group A (minimal reference disease, n = 91), both proximal and distal reference plaque burden <20%; group B (n = 91), either proximal or distal reference plaque burden 20% to 40% but both ≤40%; and group C (n = 92), either proximal or distal reference plaque burden >40%. RESULTS: The remodeling index measured 0.98 ± 0.16 in group A (range, 0.68 to 1.47), 1.04 ± 0.15 in group B (range, 0.67 to 1.91), and 1.04 ± 0.15 in group C (range, 0.74 to 1.70), analysis of variance p = 0.0208 (p = 0.0234 group A vs. group B and p = 0.0012 group A vs. group C, but p = 0.8 group B vs. group C). Positive, intermediate, and negative remodeling were observed in 24 (26%), 24 (26%), and 43 lesions (48%) in group A; 36 (40%), 28 (30%), and 27 lesions (30%) in group B; and 34 (37%), 39 (42%), and 19 lesions (21%) in group C, respectively (p = 0.0022). CONCLUSIONS: Negative remodeling occurs commonly in coronary lesions with minimal reference segment disease. Negative remodeling is not just an "artifact" introduced by comparing lesions to diseased reference segments.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0042377369&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0042377369&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/S0735-1097(03)00842-8

DO - 10.1016/S0735-1097(03)00842-8

M3 - Article

VL - 42

SP - 806

EP - 810

JO - Journal of the American College of Cardiology

JF - Journal of the American College of Cardiology

SN - 0735-1097

IS - 5

ER -