Molecular analysis of clinical isolates previously diagnosed as Mycobacterium intracellulare reveals incidental findings of "Mycobacterium indicus pranii" genotypes in human lung infection

Su Young Kim, Hye Yun Park, Byeong Ho Jeong, Kyeongman Jeon, Hee Jae Huh, Chang Seok Ki, Nam Yong Lee, Seung Jung Han, SungJae Shin, Won Jung Koh

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

7 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Background: Mycobacterium intracellulare is a major cause of Mycobacterium avium complex lung disease in many countries. Molecular studies have revealed several new Mycobacteria species that are closely related to M. intracellulare. The aim of this study was to re-identify and characterize clinical isolates from patients previously diagnosed with M. intracellulare lung disease at the molecular level. Methods: Mycobacterial isolates from 77 patients, initially diagnosed with M. intracellulare lung disease were re-analyzed by multi-locus sequencing and pattern of insertion sequences. Results: Among the 77 isolates, 74 (96%) isolates were designated as M. intracellulare based on multigene sequence-based analysis. Interestingly, the three remaining strains (4%) were re-identified as "Mycobacterium indicus pranii" according to distinct molecular phylogenetic positions in rpoB and hsp65 sequence-based typing. In hsp65 sequevar analysis, code 13 was found in the majority of cases and three unreported codes were identified. In 16S-23S rRNA internal transcribed spacer (ITS) sequevar analysis, all isolates of both species were classified within the Min-A ITS sequevar. Interestingly, four of the M. intracellulare isolates harbored IS1311, a M. avium-specific element. Two of three patients infected with "M. indicus pranii" had persistent positive sputum cultures after antibiotic therapy, indicating the clinical relevance of this study. Conclusions: This analysis highlights the importance of precise identification of clinical isolates genetically close to Mycobacterium species, and suggests that greater attention should be paid to nontuberculous mycobacteria lung disease caused by "M. indicus pranii".

Original languageEnglish
Article number406
JournalBMC Infectious Diseases
Volume15
Issue number1
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2015 Sep 30

Fingerprint

Mycobacterium avium Complex
Incidental Findings
Mycobacterium
Genotype
Lung
Lung Diseases
Infection
Mycobacterium avium
Nontuberculous Mycobacteria
Insertional Mutagenesis
Sputum
Sequence Analysis
Anti-Bacterial Agents

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Infectious Diseases

Cite this

Kim, Su Young ; Park, Hye Yun ; Jeong, Byeong Ho ; Jeon, Kyeongman ; Huh, Hee Jae ; Ki, Chang Seok ; Lee, Nam Yong ; Han, Seung Jung ; Shin, SungJae ; Koh, Won Jung. / Molecular analysis of clinical isolates previously diagnosed as Mycobacterium intracellulare reveals incidental findings of "Mycobacterium indicus pranii" genotypes in human lung infection. In: BMC Infectious Diseases. 2015 ; Vol. 15, No. 1.
@article{98aab43b2ada48449fa96d35b8d1448f,
title = "Molecular analysis of clinical isolates previously diagnosed as Mycobacterium intracellulare reveals incidental findings of {"}Mycobacterium indicus pranii{"} genotypes in human lung infection",
abstract = "Background: Mycobacterium intracellulare is a major cause of Mycobacterium avium complex lung disease in many countries. Molecular studies have revealed several new Mycobacteria species that are closely related to M. intracellulare. The aim of this study was to re-identify and characterize clinical isolates from patients previously diagnosed with M. intracellulare lung disease at the molecular level. Methods: Mycobacterial isolates from 77 patients, initially diagnosed with M. intracellulare lung disease were re-analyzed by multi-locus sequencing and pattern of insertion sequences. Results: Among the 77 isolates, 74 (96{\%}) isolates were designated as M. intracellulare based on multigene sequence-based analysis. Interestingly, the three remaining strains (4{\%}) were re-identified as {"}Mycobacterium indicus pranii{"} according to distinct molecular phylogenetic positions in rpoB and hsp65 sequence-based typing. In hsp65 sequevar analysis, code 13 was found in the majority of cases and three unreported codes were identified. In 16S-23S rRNA internal transcribed spacer (ITS) sequevar analysis, all isolates of both species were classified within the Min-A ITS sequevar. Interestingly, four of the M. intracellulare isolates harbored IS1311, a M. avium-specific element. Two of three patients infected with {"}M. indicus pranii{"} had persistent positive sputum cultures after antibiotic therapy, indicating the clinical relevance of this study. Conclusions: This analysis highlights the importance of precise identification of clinical isolates genetically close to Mycobacterium species, and suggests that greater attention should be paid to nontuberculous mycobacteria lung disease caused by {"}M. indicus pranii{"}.",
author = "Kim, {Su Young} and Park, {Hye Yun} and Jeong, {Byeong Ho} and Kyeongman Jeon and Huh, {Hee Jae} and Ki, {Chang Seok} and Lee, {Nam Yong} and Han, {Seung Jung} and SungJae Shin and Koh, {Won Jung}",
year = "2015",
month = "9",
day = "30",
doi = "10.1186/s12879-015-1140-4",
language = "English",
volume = "15",
journal = "BMC Infectious Diseases",
issn = "1471-2334",
publisher = "BioMed Central",
number = "1",

}

Molecular analysis of clinical isolates previously diagnosed as Mycobacterium intracellulare reveals incidental findings of "Mycobacterium indicus pranii" genotypes in human lung infection. / Kim, Su Young; Park, Hye Yun; Jeong, Byeong Ho; Jeon, Kyeongman; Huh, Hee Jae; Ki, Chang Seok; Lee, Nam Yong; Han, Seung Jung; Shin, SungJae; Koh, Won Jung.

In: BMC Infectious Diseases, Vol. 15, No. 1, 406, 30.09.2015.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

TY - JOUR

T1 - Molecular analysis of clinical isolates previously diagnosed as Mycobacterium intracellulare reveals incidental findings of "Mycobacterium indicus pranii" genotypes in human lung infection

AU - Kim, Su Young

AU - Park, Hye Yun

AU - Jeong, Byeong Ho

AU - Jeon, Kyeongman

AU - Huh, Hee Jae

AU - Ki, Chang Seok

AU - Lee, Nam Yong

AU - Han, Seung Jung

AU - Shin, SungJae

AU - Koh, Won Jung

PY - 2015/9/30

Y1 - 2015/9/30

N2 - Background: Mycobacterium intracellulare is a major cause of Mycobacterium avium complex lung disease in many countries. Molecular studies have revealed several new Mycobacteria species that are closely related to M. intracellulare. The aim of this study was to re-identify and characterize clinical isolates from patients previously diagnosed with M. intracellulare lung disease at the molecular level. Methods: Mycobacterial isolates from 77 patients, initially diagnosed with M. intracellulare lung disease were re-analyzed by multi-locus sequencing and pattern of insertion sequences. Results: Among the 77 isolates, 74 (96%) isolates were designated as M. intracellulare based on multigene sequence-based analysis. Interestingly, the three remaining strains (4%) were re-identified as "Mycobacterium indicus pranii" according to distinct molecular phylogenetic positions in rpoB and hsp65 sequence-based typing. In hsp65 sequevar analysis, code 13 was found in the majority of cases and three unreported codes were identified. In 16S-23S rRNA internal transcribed spacer (ITS) sequevar analysis, all isolates of both species were classified within the Min-A ITS sequevar. Interestingly, four of the M. intracellulare isolates harbored IS1311, a M. avium-specific element. Two of three patients infected with "M. indicus pranii" had persistent positive sputum cultures after antibiotic therapy, indicating the clinical relevance of this study. Conclusions: This analysis highlights the importance of precise identification of clinical isolates genetically close to Mycobacterium species, and suggests that greater attention should be paid to nontuberculous mycobacteria lung disease caused by "M. indicus pranii".

AB - Background: Mycobacterium intracellulare is a major cause of Mycobacterium avium complex lung disease in many countries. Molecular studies have revealed several new Mycobacteria species that are closely related to M. intracellulare. The aim of this study was to re-identify and characterize clinical isolates from patients previously diagnosed with M. intracellulare lung disease at the molecular level. Methods: Mycobacterial isolates from 77 patients, initially diagnosed with M. intracellulare lung disease were re-analyzed by multi-locus sequencing and pattern of insertion sequences. Results: Among the 77 isolates, 74 (96%) isolates were designated as M. intracellulare based on multigene sequence-based analysis. Interestingly, the three remaining strains (4%) were re-identified as "Mycobacterium indicus pranii" according to distinct molecular phylogenetic positions in rpoB and hsp65 sequence-based typing. In hsp65 sequevar analysis, code 13 was found in the majority of cases and three unreported codes were identified. In 16S-23S rRNA internal transcribed spacer (ITS) sequevar analysis, all isolates of both species were classified within the Min-A ITS sequevar. Interestingly, four of the M. intracellulare isolates harbored IS1311, a M. avium-specific element. Two of three patients infected with "M. indicus pranii" had persistent positive sputum cultures after antibiotic therapy, indicating the clinical relevance of this study. Conclusions: This analysis highlights the importance of precise identification of clinical isolates genetically close to Mycobacterium species, and suggests that greater attention should be paid to nontuberculous mycobacteria lung disease caused by "M. indicus pranii".

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84942586624&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84942586624&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1186/s12879-015-1140-4

DO - 10.1186/s12879-015-1140-4

M3 - Article

VL - 15

JO - BMC Infectious Diseases

JF - BMC Infectious Diseases

SN - 1471-2334

IS - 1

M1 - 406

ER -