Osteoporotic profiles in elderly patients with symptomatic lumbar spinal canal stenosis

Byung Ho Lee, seonghwan moon, Ho Joong Kim, Hwan Mo Lee, Tae Hwan Kim

Research output: Contribution to journalReview article

16 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Background: The osteoporosis and lumbar canal stenosis, in elderly patients are under diagnosed and under reported. We report a cross sectional study to demonstrate the osteoporotic profile in patients with lumbar spinal stenosis (LSS) and to determine the proportion of patients with LSS who need to be treated for osteoporosis. Materials and Methods: One hundred and six postmenopausal patients with symptomatic LSS were evaluated for osteoporotic profile, which included lumbar and hip bone mineral density (BMD), serum vitamin D concentration, bone resorption and formation markers. Demographic and disease related variables were analyzed to identify the association with the risk of osteoporosis or osteopenia. Statistical analysis used were multivariate logistic regression with a forward stepwise procedure. Results: Twenty-four patients (22.6%) had osteoporosis and 60 (56.6%) had osteopenia. Overall, 84 patients (79.2%) with symptomatic LSS had osteoporosis or osteopenia. Fifty-nine patients (55.6%) had hypovitaminosis D. All bone turnover makers [alkaline phosphatase, osteocalcin, urinary-N-terminal telopeptide (u-NTx)] were demonstrated to be within normal range. Only age was associated with the risk of osteoporosis or osteopenia in the hip region. In the lumbar spine, all variables were not associated with osteoporosis or osteopenia. 44 patients (41.5%) required treatment for osteoporosis as per risk factors for osteoporosis. According to the guidelines from the Health Insurance Review Agency, however, only 20 patients (18.8% required) qualified for reimbursement for osteoporosis medications. Conclusions: LSS is associated with osteopenia, osteoporosis, and hypovitaminosis D, which should prompt careful screening and treatment in cases of osteoporosis and osteoarthritis.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)279-284
Number of pages6
JournalIndian Journal of Orthopaedics
Volume46
Issue number3
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2012 May 1

Fingerprint

Spinal Stenosis
Spinal Canal
Osteoporosis
Metabolic Bone Diseases
Pelvic Bones
Bone Remodeling
Osteocalcin
Health Insurance
Bone Resorption
Osteogenesis
Vitamin D
Osteoarthritis
Bone Density
Alkaline Phosphatase
Hip
Pathologic Constriction
Reference Values
Spine
Cross-Sectional Studies

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Orthopedics and Sports Medicine

Cite this

Lee, Byung Ho ; moon, seonghwan ; Kim, Ho Joong ; Lee, Hwan Mo ; Kim, Tae Hwan. / Osteoporotic profiles in elderly patients with symptomatic lumbar spinal canal stenosis. In: Indian Journal of Orthopaedics. 2012 ; Vol. 46, No. 3. pp. 279-284.
@article{8d5cb38a30ba4c02ad467572a7029f8f,
title = "Osteoporotic profiles in elderly patients with symptomatic lumbar spinal canal stenosis",
abstract = "Background: The osteoporosis and lumbar canal stenosis, in elderly patients are under diagnosed and under reported. We report a cross sectional study to demonstrate the osteoporotic profile in patients with lumbar spinal stenosis (LSS) and to determine the proportion of patients with LSS who need to be treated for osteoporosis. Materials and Methods: One hundred and six postmenopausal patients with symptomatic LSS were evaluated for osteoporotic profile, which included lumbar and hip bone mineral density (BMD), serum vitamin D concentration, bone resorption and formation markers. Demographic and disease related variables were analyzed to identify the association with the risk of osteoporosis or osteopenia. Statistical analysis used were multivariate logistic regression with a forward stepwise procedure. Results: Twenty-four patients (22.6{\%}) had osteoporosis and 60 (56.6{\%}) had osteopenia. Overall, 84 patients (79.2{\%}) with symptomatic LSS had osteoporosis or osteopenia. Fifty-nine patients (55.6{\%}) had hypovitaminosis D. All bone turnover makers [alkaline phosphatase, osteocalcin, urinary-N-terminal telopeptide (u-NTx)] were demonstrated to be within normal range. Only age was associated with the risk of osteoporosis or osteopenia in the hip region. In the lumbar spine, all variables were not associated with osteoporosis or osteopenia. 44 patients (41.5{\%}) required treatment for osteoporosis as per risk factors for osteoporosis. According to the guidelines from the Health Insurance Review Agency, however, only 20 patients (18.8{\%} required) qualified for reimbursement for osteoporosis medications. Conclusions: LSS is associated with osteopenia, osteoporosis, and hypovitaminosis D, which should prompt careful screening and treatment in cases of osteoporosis and osteoarthritis.",
author = "Lee, {Byung Ho} and seonghwan moon and Kim, {Ho Joong} and Lee, {Hwan Mo} and Kim, {Tae Hwan}",
year = "2012",
month = "5",
day = "1",
doi = "10.4103/0019-5413.96379",
language = "English",
volume = "46",
pages = "279--284",
journal = "Indian Journal of Orthopaedics",
issn = "0019-5413",
publisher = "Medknow Publications and Media Pvt. Ltd",
number = "3",

}

Osteoporotic profiles in elderly patients with symptomatic lumbar spinal canal stenosis. / Lee, Byung Ho; moon, seonghwan; Kim, Ho Joong; Lee, Hwan Mo; Kim, Tae Hwan.

In: Indian Journal of Orthopaedics, Vol. 46, No. 3, 01.05.2012, p. 279-284.

Research output: Contribution to journalReview article

TY - JOUR

T1 - Osteoporotic profiles in elderly patients with symptomatic lumbar spinal canal stenosis

AU - Lee, Byung Ho

AU - moon, seonghwan

AU - Kim, Ho Joong

AU - Lee, Hwan Mo

AU - Kim, Tae Hwan

PY - 2012/5/1

Y1 - 2012/5/1

N2 - Background: The osteoporosis and lumbar canal stenosis, in elderly patients are under diagnosed and under reported. We report a cross sectional study to demonstrate the osteoporotic profile in patients with lumbar spinal stenosis (LSS) and to determine the proportion of patients with LSS who need to be treated for osteoporosis. Materials and Methods: One hundred and six postmenopausal patients with symptomatic LSS were evaluated for osteoporotic profile, which included lumbar and hip bone mineral density (BMD), serum vitamin D concentration, bone resorption and formation markers. Demographic and disease related variables were analyzed to identify the association with the risk of osteoporosis or osteopenia. Statistical analysis used were multivariate logistic regression with a forward stepwise procedure. Results: Twenty-four patients (22.6%) had osteoporosis and 60 (56.6%) had osteopenia. Overall, 84 patients (79.2%) with symptomatic LSS had osteoporosis or osteopenia. Fifty-nine patients (55.6%) had hypovitaminosis D. All bone turnover makers [alkaline phosphatase, osteocalcin, urinary-N-terminal telopeptide (u-NTx)] were demonstrated to be within normal range. Only age was associated with the risk of osteoporosis or osteopenia in the hip region. In the lumbar spine, all variables were not associated with osteoporosis or osteopenia. 44 patients (41.5%) required treatment for osteoporosis as per risk factors for osteoporosis. According to the guidelines from the Health Insurance Review Agency, however, only 20 patients (18.8% required) qualified for reimbursement for osteoporosis medications. Conclusions: LSS is associated with osteopenia, osteoporosis, and hypovitaminosis D, which should prompt careful screening and treatment in cases of osteoporosis and osteoarthritis.

AB - Background: The osteoporosis and lumbar canal stenosis, in elderly patients are under diagnosed and under reported. We report a cross sectional study to demonstrate the osteoporotic profile in patients with lumbar spinal stenosis (LSS) and to determine the proportion of patients with LSS who need to be treated for osteoporosis. Materials and Methods: One hundred and six postmenopausal patients with symptomatic LSS were evaluated for osteoporotic profile, which included lumbar and hip bone mineral density (BMD), serum vitamin D concentration, bone resorption and formation markers. Demographic and disease related variables were analyzed to identify the association with the risk of osteoporosis or osteopenia. Statistical analysis used were multivariate logistic regression with a forward stepwise procedure. Results: Twenty-four patients (22.6%) had osteoporosis and 60 (56.6%) had osteopenia. Overall, 84 patients (79.2%) with symptomatic LSS had osteoporosis or osteopenia. Fifty-nine patients (55.6%) had hypovitaminosis D. All bone turnover makers [alkaline phosphatase, osteocalcin, urinary-N-terminal telopeptide (u-NTx)] were demonstrated to be within normal range. Only age was associated with the risk of osteoporosis or osteopenia in the hip region. In the lumbar spine, all variables were not associated with osteoporosis or osteopenia. 44 patients (41.5%) required treatment for osteoporosis as per risk factors for osteoporosis. According to the guidelines from the Health Insurance Review Agency, however, only 20 patients (18.8% required) qualified for reimbursement for osteoporosis medications. Conclusions: LSS is associated with osteopenia, osteoporosis, and hypovitaminosis D, which should prompt careful screening and treatment in cases of osteoporosis and osteoarthritis.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84862555313&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84862555313&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.4103/0019-5413.96379

DO - 10.4103/0019-5413.96379

M3 - Review article

VL - 46

SP - 279

EP - 284

JO - Indian Journal of Orthopaedics

JF - Indian Journal of Orthopaedics

SN - 0019-5413

IS - 3

ER -