Population dynamics of five Anopheles species of the hyrcanus group in Northern Gyeonggi-do, Korea

Kyoung Yong Jeong, Sunjin Un, Jongweon Lee, In Yong Lee, Tai Soon Yong, Han II Ree

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

7 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

To investigate the population densities of potential malaria vectors, Anopheles species were collected by light traps in malaria endemic areas, Paju and Gimpo, Gyeonggi-do of Korea. Five Anopheles Hyrcanus sibling species (An. sinensis, An. pullus, An. lesteri, An. kleini, and An. belenrae) were identified by PCR. The predominant species, An. Pullus was collected during the late spring and mid-summer, while higher population consists of An. sinensis were collected from late summer to early autumn. These 2 species accounted for 92.1% of all Anopheles mosquitoes collected, while the other 3 species accounted for 7.9%. Taking into account of these population densities, late seasonal prevalence, and long-term incubation period (9-13 months) of the Korean Plasmodium vivax strain, An. sinensis s.s is thought to play an important role in the transmission of vivax malaria in the study areas. 2010, Korean Society for Parasitology.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)351-353
Number of pages3
JournalKorean Journal of Parasitology
Volume48
Issue number4
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2010 Dec

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Parasitology
  • Infectious Diseases

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Population dynamics of five Anopheles species of the hyrcanus group in Northern Gyeonggi-do, Korea'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this