Selection procedure for turfgrass in New Incheon International Airport

Y. K. Joo, S. U. Chun, Y. S. Jung, S. K. Lee

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

1 Citation (Scopus)

Abstract

The back-filled soil of the New Incheon International Airport in South Korea construction site was reclaimed with sea sand from the bottom of the sea and with sludge from along the bank of an inlet near Yongjong Island. The objective of this study was to investigate soil change to improve the soil properties where plant growth was limited by salts. The experiment was carried out from August 1993 to June 1997 to restore soil bases (SL, a base constructed using dredged sludge along the bank of an inlet; SD, a base constructed using dredged sea sand at the bottom of the sea; SDC, a base constructed using dredged sea sand at the bottom of the sea with 2 ton ha-1 calcium hydroxide; SDCD, a based constructed using dredged sea sand at the bottom of the sea with 2 ton ha-1 calcium hydroxide and with an established closed drainage system at 30 cm depth) and to select salt tolerance turfgrass species (Puccinella distans; Zoysia sinica; Zoysia japonica; CSG I, a combination of cool season grasses I with Festuca arundinacea 50% + Lolium perenne 30% + Agrotis alba 20% by weight; CSG II, a combination of cool season grasses II with Festuca arundinacea 50% + Festuca rubra 50% by weight) for a low maintenance area that included most of the open space of the airport site. In our study, soil salinity did not significantly affect the growth of turfgrass without irrigation in the dry season over the five years. The salinity decreased under 1 dS m-1 in 70 days on bases SD, SDC, and SDCD only with rainfall. Zoysia sinica and Zoysia japonica had a higher turfgrass coverage than Puccinella distans, CSG I and CSG II.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)2589-2601
Number of pages13
JournalCommunications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis
Volume32
Issue number15-16
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2001 Jan 1

Fingerprint

airports
turf grasses
airport
Zoysia
sand
Zoysia japonica
calcium hydroxide
cool season grasses
Festuca arundinacea
sludge
Agrotis
Festuca rubra
soil
drainage systems
South Korea
soil salinity
salt tolerance
Lolium perenne
hydroxide
dry season

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Agronomy and Crop Science
  • Soil Science

Cite this

Joo, Y. K. ; Chun, S. U. ; Jung, Y. S. ; Lee, S. K. / Selection procedure for turfgrass in New Incheon International Airport. In: Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis. 2001 ; Vol. 32, No. 15-16. pp. 2589-2601.
@article{e3a62346f0214a64a09124a33d7afce6,
title = "Selection procedure for turfgrass in New Incheon International Airport",
abstract = "The back-filled soil of the New Incheon International Airport in South Korea construction site was reclaimed with sea sand from the bottom of the sea and with sludge from along the bank of an inlet near Yongjong Island. The objective of this study was to investigate soil change to improve the soil properties where plant growth was limited by salts. The experiment was carried out from August 1993 to June 1997 to restore soil bases (SL, a base constructed using dredged sludge along the bank of an inlet; SD, a base constructed using dredged sea sand at the bottom of the sea; SDC, a base constructed using dredged sea sand at the bottom of the sea with 2 ton ha-1 calcium hydroxide; SDCD, a based constructed using dredged sea sand at the bottom of the sea with 2 ton ha-1 calcium hydroxide and with an established closed drainage system at 30 cm depth) and to select salt tolerance turfgrass species (Puccinella distans; Zoysia sinica; Zoysia japonica; CSG I, a combination of cool season grasses I with Festuca arundinacea 50{\%} + Lolium perenne 30{\%} + Agrotis alba 20{\%} by weight; CSG II, a combination of cool season grasses II with Festuca arundinacea 50{\%} + Festuca rubra 50{\%} by weight) for a low maintenance area that included most of the open space of the airport site. In our study, soil salinity did not significantly affect the growth of turfgrass without irrigation in the dry season over the five years. The salinity decreased under 1 dS m-1 in 70 days on bases SD, SDC, and SDCD only with rainfall. Zoysia sinica and Zoysia japonica had a higher turfgrass coverage than Puccinella distans, CSG I and CSG II.",
author = "Joo, {Y. K.} and Chun, {S. U.} and Jung, {Y. S.} and Lee, {S. K.}",
year = "2001",
month = "1",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1081/CSS-120000393",
language = "English",
volume = "32",
pages = "2589--2601",
journal = "Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis",
issn = "0010-3624",
publisher = "Taylor and Francis Ltd.",
number = "15-16",

}

Selection procedure for turfgrass in New Incheon International Airport. / Joo, Y. K.; Chun, S. U.; Jung, Y. S.; Lee, S. K.

In: Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, Vol. 32, No. 15-16, 01.01.2001, p. 2589-2601.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

TY - JOUR

T1 - Selection procedure for turfgrass in New Incheon International Airport

AU - Joo, Y. K.

AU - Chun, S. U.

AU - Jung, Y. S.

AU - Lee, S. K.

PY - 2001/1/1

Y1 - 2001/1/1

N2 - The back-filled soil of the New Incheon International Airport in South Korea construction site was reclaimed with sea sand from the bottom of the sea and with sludge from along the bank of an inlet near Yongjong Island. The objective of this study was to investigate soil change to improve the soil properties where plant growth was limited by salts. The experiment was carried out from August 1993 to June 1997 to restore soil bases (SL, a base constructed using dredged sludge along the bank of an inlet; SD, a base constructed using dredged sea sand at the bottom of the sea; SDC, a base constructed using dredged sea sand at the bottom of the sea with 2 ton ha-1 calcium hydroxide; SDCD, a based constructed using dredged sea sand at the bottom of the sea with 2 ton ha-1 calcium hydroxide and with an established closed drainage system at 30 cm depth) and to select salt tolerance turfgrass species (Puccinella distans; Zoysia sinica; Zoysia japonica; CSG I, a combination of cool season grasses I with Festuca arundinacea 50% + Lolium perenne 30% + Agrotis alba 20% by weight; CSG II, a combination of cool season grasses II with Festuca arundinacea 50% + Festuca rubra 50% by weight) for a low maintenance area that included most of the open space of the airport site. In our study, soil salinity did not significantly affect the growth of turfgrass without irrigation in the dry season over the five years. The salinity decreased under 1 dS m-1 in 70 days on bases SD, SDC, and SDCD only with rainfall. Zoysia sinica and Zoysia japonica had a higher turfgrass coverage than Puccinella distans, CSG I and CSG II.

AB - The back-filled soil of the New Incheon International Airport in South Korea construction site was reclaimed with sea sand from the bottom of the sea and with sludge from along the bank of an inlet near Yongjong Island. The objective of this study was to investigate soil change to improve the soil properties where plant growth was limited by salts. The experiment was carried out from August 1993 to June 1997 to restore soil bases (SL, a base constructed using dredged sludge along the bank of an inlet; SD, a base constructed using dredged sea sand at the bottom of the sea; SDC, a base constructed using dredged sea sand at the bottom of the sea with 2 ton ha-1 calcium hydroxide; SDCD, a based constructed using dredged sea sand at the bottom of the sea with 2 ton ha-1 calcium hydroxide and with an established closed drainage system at 30 cm depth) and to select salt tolerance turfgrass species (Puccinella distans; Zoysia sinica; Zoysia japonica; CSG I, a combination of cool season grasses I with Festuca arundinacea 50% + Lolium perenne 30% + Agrotis alba 20% by weight; CSG II, a combination of cool season grasses II with Festuca arundinacea 50% + Festuca rubra 50% by weight) for a low maintenance area that included most of the open space of the airport site. In our study, soil salinity did not significantly affect the growth of turfgrass without irrigation in the dry season over the five years. The salinity decreased under 1 dS m-1 in 70 days on bases SD, SDC, and SDCD only with rainfall. Zoysia sinica and Zoysia japonica had a higher turfgrass coverage than Puccinella distans, CSG I and CSG II.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0034747964&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0034747964&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1081/CSS-120000393

DO - 10.1081/CSS-120000393

M3 - Article

AN - SCOPUS:0034747964

VL - 32

SP - 2589

EP - 2601

JO - Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis

JF - Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis

SN - 0010-3624

IS - 15-16

ER -