The efficacy and toxicity of S-1 and cisplatin as first-line chemotherapy in recurrent or metastatic head and neck squamous cell carcinoma

Han Sang Kim, Hye Ryun Kim, Gun Min Kim, Hyo Song Kim, Yoonwoo Koh, Se Hun Kim, Eun Chang Choi, Yun Kyoung Hong, Ji Hee Sung, Sun Mi Kim, Joo Hang Kim, ByoungChul Cho

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

2 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Purpose To assess the clinical activity and toxicity of a combination chemotherapy regimen of S-1 and cisplatin in patients with recurrent and/or metastatic head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC) in a retrospective study. Methods A total of 49 patients were treated in an outpatient setting with S-1 80 mg/m 2 on days 1-14 and with cisplatin 70 mg/m 2 on day 1 every 3 weeks for a maximum of six cycles as a first-line palliative chemotherapy. Patients who achieved complete response (CR), partial response (PR) or stable disease (SD) after six cycles received S-1 monotherapy as a maintenance therapy. Results The median patient age was 55 years (range 33-79), 89.8 % were male, and the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group performance status distribution was 0/1/2 (20.4 %/73.5 %/6.1 %). Of the 43 evaluable patients, 2 (4.1 %) achieved CR and 20 (40.8 %) had a PR, for an overall response rate of 44.9 %. Thirteen patients (26.6 %) had SD. The median number of chemotherapy treatments was 4 (range 1-18). Nine patients received maintenance S-1 monotherapy after six cycles of combination chemotherapy. With a mean 10.5 months (range 1.3-25.1) of follow-up, the median progression-free and overall survival were 4.5 (95 % CI, 3.7-5.3 months) and 10.8 months (95 % CI, 5.9-15.6 months), respectively. The main grade 3-4 toxicities were neutropenia (37 %), anemia (16 %) and general weakness (8 %). Other toxicities, including nausea/ vomiting, mucositis and neuropathy, were mostly grade 1-2 and easily manageable. Conclusions The combination of S-1/cisplatin therapy had a favorable efficacy with manageable toxicity as a firstline chemotherapy regimen for advanced head and neck squamous cell carcinoma patients.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)539-546
Number of pages8
JournalCancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology
Volume70
Issue number4
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2012 Oct 1

Fingerprint

Chemotherapy
Cisplatin
Toxicity
Drug Therapy
Combination Drug Therapy
Oncology
Mucositis
Epithelial Cells
Carcinoma, squamous cell of head and neck
Neutropenia
Nausea
Disease-Free Survival
Vomiting
Anemia
Outpatients
Therapeutics
Retrospective Studies
Maintenance

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Oncology
  • Toxicology
  • Pharmacology
  • Cancer Research
  • Pharmacology (medical)

Cite this

Kim, Han Sang ; Kim, Hye Ryun ; Kim, Gun Min ; Kim, Hyo Song ; Koh, Yoonwoo ; Kim, Se Hun ; Choi, Eun Chang ; Hong, Yun Kyoung ; Sung, Ji Hee ; Kim, Sun Mi ; Kim, Joo Hang ; Cho, ByoungChul. / The efficacy and toxicity of S-1 and cisplatin as first-line chemotherapy in recurrent or metastatic head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. In: Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology. 2012 ; Vol. 70, No. 4. pp. 539-546.
@article{822c5041a2ce4fac9ad8ee6a500e433d,
title = "The efficacy and toxicity of S-1 and cisplatin as first-line chemotherapy in recurrent or metastatic head and neck squamous cell carcinoma",
abstract = "Purpose To assess the clinical activity and toxicity of a combination chemotherapy regimen of S-1 and cisplatin in patients with recurrent and/or metastatic head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC) in a retrospective study. Methods A total of 49 patients were treated in an outpatient setting with S-1 80 mg/m 2 on days 1-14 and with cisplatin 70 mg/m 2 on day 1 every 3 weeks for a maximum of six cycles as a first-line palliative chemotherapy. Patients who achieved complete response (CR), partial response (PR) or stable disease (SD) after six cycles received S-1 monotherapy as a maintenance therapy. Results The median patient age was 55 years (range 33-79), 89.8 {\%} were male, and the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group performance status distribution was 0/1/2 (20.4 {\%}/73.5 {\%}/6.1 {\%}). Of the 43 evaluable patients, 2 (4.1 {\%}) achieved CR and 20 (40.8 {\%}) had a PR, for an overall response rate of 44.9 {\%}. Thirteen patients (26.6 {\%}) had SD. The median number of chemotherapy treatments was 4 (range 1-18). Nine patients received maintenance S-1 monotherapy after six cycles of combination chemotherapy. With a mean 10.5 months (range 1.3-25.1) of follow-up, the median progression-free and overall survival were 4.5 (95 {\%} CI, 3.7-5.3 months) and 10.8 months (95 {\%} CI, 5.9-15.6 months), respectively. The main grade 3-4 toxicities were neutropenia (37 {\%}), anemia (16 {\%}) and general weakness (8 {\%}). Other toxicities, including nausea/ vomiting, mucositis and neuropathy, were mostly grade 1-2 and easily manageable. Conclusions The combination of S-1/cisplatin therapy had a favorable efficacy with manageable toxicity as a firstline chemotherapy regimen for advanced head and neck squamous cell carcinoma patients.",
author = "Kim, {Han Sang} and Kim, {Hye Ryun} and Kim, {Gun Min} and Kim, {Hyo Song} and Yoonwoo Koh and Kim, {Se Hun} and Choi, {Eun Chang} and Hong, {Yun Kyoung} and Sung, {Ji Hee} and Kim, {Sun Mi} and Kim, {Joo Hang} and ByoungChul Cho",
year = "2012",
month = "10",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1007/s00280-012-1933-8",
language = "English",
volume = "70",
pages = "539--546",
journal = "Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology",
issn = "0344-5704",
publisher = "Springer Verlag",
number = "4",

}

The efficacy and toxicity of S-1 and cisplatin as first-line chemotherapy in recurrent or metastatic head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. / Kim, Han Sang; Kim, Hye Ryun; Kim, Gun Min; Kim, Hyo Song; Koh, Yoonwoo; Kim, Se Hun; Choi, Eun Chang; Hong, Yun Kyoung; Sung, Ji Hee; Kim, Sun Mi; Kim, Joo Hang; Cho, ByoungChul.

In: Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, Vol. 70, No. 4, 01.10.2012, p. 539-546.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

TY - JOUR

T1 - The efficacy and toxicity of S-1 and cisplatin as first-line chemotherapy in recurrent or metastatic head and neck squamous cell carcinoma

AU - Kim, Han Sang

AU - Kim, Hye Ryun

AU - Kim, Gun Min

AU - Kim, Hyo Song

AU - Koh, Yoonwoo

AU - Kim, Se Hun

AU - Choi, Eun Chang

AU - Hong, Yun Kyoung

AU - Sung, Ji Hee

AU - Kim, Sun Mi

AU - Kim, Joo Hang

AU - Cho, ByoungChul

PY - 2012/10/1

Y1 - 2012/10/1

N2 - Purpose To assess the clinical activity and toxicity of a combination chemotherapy regimen of S-1 and cisplatin in patients with recurrent and/or metastatic head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC) in a retrospective study. Methods A total of 49 patients were treated in an outpatient setting with S-1 80 mg/m 2 on days 1-14 and with cisplatin 70 mg/m 2 on day 1 every 3 weeks for a maximum of six cycles as a first-line palliative chemotherapy. Patients who achieved complete response (CR), partial response (PR) or stable disease (SD) after six cycles received S-1 monotherapy as a maintenance therapy. Results The median patient age was 55 years (range 33-79), 89.8 % were male, and the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group performance status distribution was 0/1/2 (20.4 %/73.5 %/6.1 %). Of the 43 evaluable patients, 2 (4.1 %) achieved CR and 20 (40.8 %) had a PR, for an overall response rate of 44.9 %. Thirteen patients (26.6 %) had SD. The median number of chemotherapy treatments was 4 (range 1-18). Nine patients received maintenance S-1 monotherapy after six cycles of combination chemotherapy. With a mean 10.5 months (range 1.3-25.1) of follow-up, the median progression-free and overall survival were 4.5 (95 % CI, 3.7-5.3 months) and 10.8 months (95 % CI, 5.9-15.6 months), respectively. The main grade 3-4 toxicities were neutropenia (37 %), anemia (16 %) and general weakness (8 %). Other toxicities, including nausea/ vomiting, mucositis and neuropathy, were mostly grade 1-2 and easily manageable. Conclusions The combination of S-1/cisplatin therapy had a favorable efficacy with manageable toxicity as a firstline chemotherapy regimen for advanced head and neck squamous cell carcinoma patients.

AB - Purpose To assess the clinical activity and toxicity of a combination chemotherapy regimen of S-1 and cisplatin in patients with recurrent and/or metastatic head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC) in a retrospective study. Methods A total of 49 patients were treated in an outpatient setting with S-1 80 mg/m 2 on days 1-14 and with cisplatin 70 mg/m 2 on day 1 every 3 weeks for a maximum of six cycles as a first-line palliative chemotherapy. Patients who achieved complete response (CR), partial response (PR) or stable disease (SD) after six cycles received S-1 monotherapy as a maintenance therapy. Results The median patient age was 55 years (range 33-79), 89.8 % were male, and the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group performance status distribution was 0/1/2 (20.4 %/73.5 %/6.1 %). Of the 43 evaluable patients, 2 (4.1 %) achieved CR and 20 (40.8 %) had a PR, for an overall response rate of 44.9 %. Thirteen patients (26.6 %) had SD. The median number of chemotherapy treatments was 4 (range 1-18). Nine patients received maintenance S-1 monotherapy after six cycles of combination chemotherapy. With a mean 10.5 months (range 1.3-25.1) of follow-up, the median progression-free and overall survival were 4.5 (95 % CI, 3.7-5.3 months) and 10.8 months (95 % CI, 5.9-15.6 months), respectively. The main grade 3-4 toxicities were neutropenia (37 %), anemia (16 %) and general weakness (8 %). Other toxicities, including nausea/ vomiting, mucositis and neuropathy, were mostly grade 1-2 and easily manageable. Conclusions The combination of S-1/cisplatin therapy had a favorable efficacy with manageable toxicity as a firstline chemotherapy regimen for advanced head and neck squamous cell carcinoma patients.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84867582501&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84867582501&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1007/s00280-012-1933-8

DO - 10.1007/s00280-012-1933-8

M3 - Article

C2 - 22868340

AN - SCOPUS:84867582501

VL - 70

SP - 539

EP - 546

JO - Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology

JF - Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology

SN - 0344-5704

IS - 4

ER -