Two cases of mushroom poisoning by Podostroma cornu-damae

Jin Young Ahn, Soon Ja Seok, Je Eun Song, Jung Ho Choi, Sang Hoon Han, Jun Yong Choi, Chang Oh Kim, Young Goo Song, June Myung Kim

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

8 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Podostroma cornu-damae is a rare fungus that houses a fatal toxin in its fruit body. In this case report, two patients collected and boiled the wild fungus in water, which they drank for one month. One patient died, presenting with desquamation of the palms and soles, pancytopenia, severe sepsis and multiple organ failure. The other patient recovered after one month of conservative care after admission. We found a piece of Podostroma cornu-damae in the remaining clusters of mushrooms. Mushroom poisoning by Podostroma cornu-damae has never been previously reported in Korea.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)265-268
Number of pages4
JournalYonsei medical journal
Volume54
Issue number1
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2013 Jan

    Fingerprint

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Medicine(all)

Cite this

Ahn, J. Y., Seok, S. J., Song, J. E., Choi, J. H., Han, S. H., Choi, J. Y., Kim, C. O., Song, Y. G., & Kim, J. M. (2013). Two cases of mushroom poisoning by Podostroma cornu-damae. Yonsei medical journal, 54(1), 265-268. https://doi.org/10.3349/ymj.2013.54.1.265